Here is the reason why according to the experts, Chi Kung is the best exercise overall to add years to your life and life to your years.
The Secret lies in the Vagus nerve
The Vagus nerve is the longest nerve directly from the brain, which sends messages to and receives messages from the solar plexus and every other organ in your body. Because 85 percent of this huge nerve carries information back to the brain, it’s the main mechanism by which your brain audits your body. The remaining 15 percent takes information from your brain to your body.
The mysterious and large vagus nerve spends most of its time updating the brain on the goings-on of the body. When to much is happening the brain circuitry is overwhelmed, causing all the fight and flight chemicals to be released in the body, like acid slowly dripping away.
That’s why the deep breathing and beautiful flowing movements of Chi Kung is the best exercise to quiet and calm the vagus nerve according to the experts. When the vagus nerve is calm we are able to connect with the neocortex, our intellectual part of the brain.
When the vagus nerve is overwhelmed we are operating in the primitive portion of the brain and reacting to things rather then intelligently responding to things, thus creating more mental, physical and emotional stress for ourselves
It is the combination of the deep breathing, flowing movements and special music that makes Chi Kung the top exercise in reducing stress, the number one reason for sickness and premature death.
Inhaling deeply brings a chemical called nitric oxide from the back of your nose and your sinuses into your lungs. This short-live gas dilates the air passages in your lungs and the blood vessels surrounding those air passages so you can get more oxygen into your body, helping prevent a heart attack or stroke. Nitric Oxide also doubles as a neurotransmitter to help your brain function more efficiently, another benefit of Chi Kung.
By Grand Master Dennis Kelly